Need more reasons to reserve your shopping time at Fall Whale Sale? Here are some GOOD ones (for you AND the planet)!
- World consumption of paper has grown 400 percent in the last 40 years.
- Paper and paper products account for 25% of all landfill waste in the US and more than a third of all Canada’s waste.
- Paper manufacturing is the third largest user of fossil fuels worldwide.
- Every year in the US, more than 2 billion books are published.
- About 40 million tons of paper that could be recycled is thrown away each year in the US.
So not only do you get some great books, CDs, DVDs, and LPs at great prices, you’re also helping the planet!
All donated items are quarantined for at least 96 hours prior to processing for sale to the public. By accepting donations only three days per week, we can ensure that items are properly quarantined for the health and safety of our staff, our volunteers, and the public.
Please read the donation instructions that we have posted here.
Thank you for supporting us as we adapt to the ever-changing COVID landscape.
Be well. Stay healthy.
The Foundation offices are closed until further notice. Please check back for updates.
The Gift Shop at Belmar Library is closed until further notice.
The Friends of JCPL online Amazon and eBay stores are closed until further notice.
The Spring Whale of a Used Book Sale, scheduled for May 28 – 31, 2020 is cancelled. Please join us for the Fall Whale of a Used Book Sale, scheduled for October 16-18, 2020 at the Jeffco Fairgrounds.
December 11, 2019. Thank you everyone who so generously donated on Colorado Gives Day! We had a 32% increase in donations from last year and a 23% increase in donor support! We feel so fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful Colorado community. Your generosity yesterday will touch and enhance the lives of thousands and thousands of Jeffco residents. And with our commitment to increasing literacy by supporting Jefferson County Library literacy programs, it is our belief that your generosity will have a ripple effect for generations to come.
As a part of her involvement in Golden, Colorado’s Leadership Golden training, JCLF Executive Director Jo Schantz and her cohort members conceptualized and proceed to create Project STAR – a program that gives homeless and unaccompanied teens at Golden High School basic necessities ranging from RTD passes, laundromat vouchers, food, and a wide range of products and services that these youth cannot access. Read more about it in the December 2, 2019 Golden Transcript.
Photo: Steadman, Christy. “Project Star.” Golden Transcript, 2 Dec. 2019, https://goldentranscript.net/stories/project-star-and-need-for-clean-benefits-homeless-golden-high-schoolers,290435.
We were sent this photo of one of our food sponsors’ cupcake art!
These cupcakes from Gold Mine Cupcakes in Golden, CO taste as good as they look!
To every person who volunteered for the Whale of a Used Book Sale, to every company who supported their employees in joining us to raise funds for Jeffco Public Library at the Whale Sale, and to every volunteer and organization who generously gives their time, knowledge, and dedication to the Foundation’s mission year-round – none of this would be possible without YOU!
Here are just a few photos from the Fall Whale Sale, featuring just a few of our MANY fabulous volunteers! Read more
The 2016 Fall Whale of a Used Book Sale will soon be upon us, so mark your calendars!
- Preview Night will be Thursday, October 20, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Only Friends can attend Preview Night and get first pick of the books, so if you’re not a Friend of JCPL, you can sign up here.
- We’ll open early on Friday, October 21, for those who want to beat the crowds. Doors will open at 8 a.m. and, for a $10 fee, eager shoppers can enter early. Doors will open to the public on Friday at 9 a.m., which is free of charge. The sale is open until 5 p.m.
- Saturday, October 22, is half-price day for employees of Jefferson County and Friends of the Library. Don’t forget your IDs, as you can’t get this exclusive deal without them! The sale is open from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturday.
- Sunday, October 23, is bag day. A bag of books starts at just $6. What a deal! Doors open at 11 a.m. on Sunday and close at 3 p.m.
Of course, Whale Sales don’t happen without the hard work of our dedicated volunteers. Want to join our awesome volunteers? Contact us to be be notified when we are scheduling volunteer shifts.