VOLUNTEER AND EVENTS COORDINATOR
This part-time (20-30 hours per week) non-benefited position is responsible for recruiting, organizing and overseeing the volunteer programs associated with the Jefferson County Library Foundation’s fundraising events, used book sales, and other program partner initiatives. This position also recruits volunteers for the Whale’s Tale Gift & Book Shop in Colorado Mills Mall, Lakewood, and Whale’s Tale Two Books & Gifts in Belmar Shopping Center, Lakewood. This position also manages the Friends of Jefferson County Public Library membership organization and organizes and oversees special fundraising events and volunteer/Friends events.
- JCLF Volunteer Program
- Oversees volunteer recruitment and arranges training programs for all JCLF volunteers.
- Maintains updated records on all non-warehouse volunteers for staff and annual reporting for tax purposes.
- Ensures that non-warehouse volunteer hours are accurately recorded each week.
- Works with JCLF staff and/or contract Event Planner on volunteer recruitment, placement and logistics for the bi-annual Whale of a Used Book Sales in June and October.
- Is responsible for recruiting and help in organizing volunteers for holiday sales and other in-library “pop-up” sales.
- Assists Executive Director and Mar/Com Office Coordinator in recruiting volunteers for fundraising special events (gala dinners, beer tasting events, tea parties, Books On Film, etc.).
- Solicits donations of food/beverage for volunteers at specific events (such as the Whale of a Used Book Sales).
- Sets up and participates in volunteer meetings, trainings and volunteer recognition events.
- Recruits volunteers for the Whale’s Tale Books & Gifts Shop in Colorado Mills Mall and Whale’s Tale Two Books & Gifts in Belmar Shopping Center; recruits volunteers for any other bookstore(s) or outlets hosted by JCLF.
- Recruits and manages volunteers for specific JCLF partnership programs.
- Reports to Executive Director on volunteer activities as needed.
- Ensures that all non-warehouse volunteers have acquired and passed background checks, and have completed their applications, emergency contact forms, waivers, etc.
- Recommends and develops ongoing volunteer training and utilization (non-warehouse).
- Takes the lead in developing and managing JCLF’s volunteer recognition events.
- Participates in local volunteer fairs and volunteer recruitment events.
- Provides volunteer and Friends recruitment presentations to service clubs, employee groups, etc.
- Assists the Executive Director in reviewing and updating the volunteer training manual.
- Organizes, manages and oversees the Friends of the Library membership organization.
- Oversees the year-round membership program.
- Helps create Friends marketing materials
- Re-establishes the Friends Council governing group.
- Provides public presentations to encourage and increase Friends memberships and attendance at Friends-sponsored events.
- Designs and implements special events (luncheons, appreciation events, focus groups, etc.) to promote Friends membership.
- Creates new membership levels and perquisites for corporations and organizations.
- Develops and implements overall plans for growing the Friends membership organization.
- Organizes and manages all JCLF events (special fundraising events, Friends events/activities and volunteer recognition events)
- Serves as the Foundation’s point of contact for all off-site events mentioned above.
- Works with Executive Director on designing and monitoring event budgets.
- Works with the Executive Director to prepare sponsorship opportunity documents; works with Executive Director to identify and solicit event sponsors, as needed.
- Recruits, helps train and oversees volunteers for each event.
- Works with Executive Director to secure and sign all event location agreements, vendor agreements, caterers, a/v, etc.
- Assists in securing guest speakers and entertainment.
- Manages all facets of special events (logistics, decorations, catering, registration, set-up/clean-up, etc.)
- Works with JCLF staff, volunteers and Crew Chiefs on the semi-annual Whale of a Used Book Sales.
- Works with Executive Director and Mar/Com Office Coordinator re: ticket sales, social media announcements, invitations, PowerPoints and print programs.
Exceptional communications abilities.
Collaboration and teamwork skills.
The ability to recruit and manage a corps of up to 200 volunteers.
High-level organization and time management skills.
Public speaking experience.
Excellent problem-solving and negotiation skills.
Effective teaching/training skills.
Experience in cash handling.
Familiar with current technology equipment and software.
Database management experience.
3-5 years’ experience managing volunteers in a nonprofit environment.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a casual yet professional office environment, off site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and arms, see, hear and speak. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Must have a valid drivers’ license and vehicle.
The Volunteer and Events Coordinator will be required to have a working knowledge of the internet, electronic equipment (computers, cell phones, copy machines, etc.), and an understanding of various software applications. This Coordinator will be required to ensure tracking of volunteer hours in eTapestry database and will need to be familiar with online volunteer registration applications, such as SignUp Genius.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time, hourly, non-benefited position for approximately 20-30 hours per week. Longer hours may be required when JCLF is producing large events, such as the semi-annual Whale of a Used Book Sales.
JCLF offices are open Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Specific work hours for this position are based on volume and time of year, and depending on immediate needs and events taking place. Some evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Work hours are flexible and can include working from home.
Occasional evening work may be expected for events and Foundation meetings.
The job is located in the office of the Jefferson County Library Foundation in Wheat Ridge, CO.
Travel is primarily local from the office (in Wheat Ridge) and in Jefferson County during the business day.
Required Education and Experience
Two-year or four-year degree in social sciences, communications, nonprofit management, or related field.
Three years or more of successful work experience in this or a related field.
Preferred Education and Experience
Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit employer.
Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
Prior experience in creating, organizing and managing special events.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
PAY AND BENEFITS:
This is a flexible, part-time, hourly position (20 -30 hours per week), with no benefits, at $20 per hour.
Send a cover letter and resume via email to the Jefferson County Library Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.